As the COVID-19 pandemic escalates, the importance of the long-standing partnership between the biopharmaceutical industry and highly skilled union construction workers comes into focus. The PILMA partnership’s mission to create quality union construction jobs, foster innovation, and the discovery of life-saving cures is essential in the research and development of treatments to help combat and eradicate COVID-19.
Our industry partners are working quickly and diligently to develop a treatment and vaccine for COVID-19, acting swiftly on decades-long investments in new technology, research and treatments to help fight this deadly virus.
Our labor partners are sending in maintenance crews to critical care units, donating needed supplies such as masks, lighting and PPE, and have opened their hiring halls for first responder staging, testing and supply distribution. They have also been working to communicate health and safety recommendations to frontline workers that we all rely on in this time of crisis.
PILMA partners are also first responders, ensuring security and safety to all citizens in their communities.
PILMA – PARTNERSHIP IN ACTION
PILMA partners are working around the clock to assist in a time of exponential need:
- Rapidly screening vast global libraries of medicines to identify potential treatments and ramp up numerous clinical trials to test new and existing therapies.
- Helping to respond to the sick in communities across the country while putting their own health and families at risk.
- Diverting existing resources to speed the development of safe and effective vaccines and treatments.
- Playing a critical role to ensure that workers displaced and laid off because of economic uncertainty and COVID-19 get the assistance they need.
- Expanding manufacturing capabilities to ramp up production once a medicine or vaccine is developed.
- Collaborating with government agencies, hospitals, doctors and others to donate supplies and medicines to those affected in the U.S. and around the world. North America’s Building Trades are donating N-95 masks and other equipment to nurses on the frontlines.
- Working with governments and insurers so that when new treatments and vaccines are approved they will be available, accessible, and affordable for all patients.